Friday, May 30, 2008

Big Hard Run

I love doing stuff that normal people don’t do. Especially stuff that seems crazy but is actually really good for you. Let’s add another one to the list - long-distance-mountain running. Two or three months with a weekly long, easy run of about 1h30 and 2 other aerobic runs should set you up with nice base.

Once you have a good base, you may want to whip yourself into shape with some specialized training.

As for whipping the running into shape, I believe hill repeats is the best way to build strength and incorporate quality. Actually, I thought was “crazy” the first few times I did it, but I learned to love it and now know its probably my most important workout of the week. Its hard to part with this gem…
Warm up and find a nice hill. Dirt or grass is good. Dirt or grass in the shade is best.
Run 6×2minute hills at AT, jog down.
Run 5minutes at AT on the flat
Run 6×1minute hills at AT, jog down
Run 5minutes at AT on the flat
Limp home.
Despite the scant looks of it, this run will be 1h20 or more, so bring our A game.

No comments: